Financial Capability combines elements of Financial Counseling and Financial Coaching for housing counselors seeking Financial Capability Certification.
Housing counselors and social service case managers increasingly find themselves dealing with clients who need to address various financial barriers. During the first week this course will provide the basic strategies and information needed to increase a professional’s ability to assist their clients. The class will touch on ethical issues that may arise as well and give the best practices on how to run an efficient counseling session. During the second week this course will lead into Coaching and Client advocacy for counselors to enhance their skills as a financial coach. This course will leave a new counselor with all the tools to successfully counsel a client to reach their financial goals.
Participants in this course will be able to:
- Assist clients with Goal setting
- Understand how to analyze all income types including self-employed clients
- Assist clients in understanding what is “Affordable”
- Understand how to accurately analyze debt
- Confidently have a “Needs vs Wants” conversation with clients which includes risk analysis and understanding trade-offs
- Discuss savings options with clients which includes how and where to save
- Added layer of expertise to their counseling session by transitioning into coaching
- Discuss taxes in terms of financial planning
- Deepen the conversation into asset building options
- Understand the best way to structure your program for maximum efficiency and profit
- Establish relationships in the community to benefit the program and participants
- Educate clients on current available mortgage options and how to comparison shop
- Educate client on potential scams and what are general red flags
- Educate clients on what an underwriter is looking for
- Understand the rules and regulations governing the industry
When you register for this course, you receive:
- Two weeks of advanced financial counseling and coaching training
- Downloadable pdf files of guides and templates for program support
- Access to experienced industry professionals for guidance
Tuition: $500 per course
Non-refundable Registration Fee: $50
Scholarships are also offered.
Review the ULA course calendar to find an upcoming Financial Capabilities course near you.